You Too Can Be a KGNU Underwriter
Sponsoring and underwriting programs is one of the best ways for your organization to support KGNU Community Radio while increasing your visibility across the Front Range.
Reach New Customers
Everyday retail stores, restaurants, concert promoters, theaters, service providers, nonprofits and many more reach out to KGNU's progressive, diverse, and dedicated audience by sponsoring, or "underwriting," specific programs. Underwriters receive on-air acknowledgments during those programs that let listeners know who they are, what they do, and how to reach them for more information.
KGNU reaches over 60,000 listeners every week. Our loyal listeners tune in to KGNU to stay informed on local and global news and public affairs, as well as to enjoy the diverse music and arts. KGNU listeners are progressive, thoughtful, educated, environmentally conscientious, and overwhelmingly support the causes they believe in. They consistently return, are engaged, active, and generous.
Here's what one of our underwriters has to say:
We tried underwriting with KGNU to inform people about Mother House before Colorado Gives Day. We received many donations from new individuals. We will work with KGNU again and do more underwriting in the future.
-- Nikki Cohen, Treasurer of Mother House.
Underwriting generally ranges from $30-$50 per message.
News Drive Time and Saturdays
- Less than 50 announcements - $50 per message
- 50 or more announcements - $45 per message
- 100 or more announcements - $40 per message
- 150 or more announcements - $35 per message
Non-Drive Time and Late Night Sundays
- Less than 50 announcements - $35 per message
- 100 or more announcements - $30 per message
- 150 or more announcements - $25 per message
There are times KGNU may be interested in offering underwriting announcements in trade for goods or services. For in-kind or trade underwriting agreements, announcements are individually negotiated with the business. Contact Sarah@kgnu.org for more information.
- Underwriting is not considered "advertising."
- Underwriting promotes, in a 20-second on-air message, and acknowledges an institution's philanthropic support of KGNU Community Radio.
- KGNU underwriting announcements are pre-recorded, and in some instances, read live by our on-air hosts.
- No more than two 20 second underwriting announcements run per break on KGNU. Your message will get heard and doesn't get lost in the clutter of typical commercial radio breaks.
- FCC regulations govern all underwriting support announcements by nonprofit broadcasters. The regulations require stations provide on-air recognition of funders while stipulating that these announcements are strictly for identification; they cannot be promotional.
What can Underwriters Say on KGNU?
Underwriting announcements are regulated by the FCC and must conform to the following guidelines:
- Value-neutral description of product or services.
- Product or service listings that aid in identifying the business.
For example: "This program is supported by the KGNU Listener Members and by ABC, whose product 123 is available at XYZ. More information available at ABC dot com."
- Comparisons and Endorsements, Qualitative statements, Expressions of viewers, Superlative descriptions
- Price or value information
- Calls to action
Our present underwriters.
Get Started Now!
Have questions about underwriting on KGNU or would like to get started?
Please email us at email@example.com or call Sarah at (303) 515-4522.