KGNU Seeks a Part Time Associate News Producer/Reporter
Job Title: Associate News Producer/Reporter
Reports to: News Director
Part Time: 20hrs/wk
Salary: $21,400 annual
Based in Boulder, CO with some work from Denver Studios May require frequent travel around the Denver 7 County Metro area and Boulder Immediate start.
The KGNU News Department is seeking to expand our newsroom capabilities with a Part-Time Associate News Producer/Reporter.
We seek a seasoned radio producer with excellent journalistic, news writing, interviewing and editing skills, with sharp news instincts, an inquisitive mind, and creative storytelling skills, who thrives in a fast-paced, community-oriented environment.
The ideal candidate must possess strong organizational, time management and critical thinking skills and be able to conceive and produce broadcast quality audio, with digital and written copy for social media and web distribution that is community-centered, informative and engaging.
The successful candidate will be an energetic and experienced team member and news producer. You'll have a deep curiosity and knowledge about local news and community affairs, and you're always hungry for original stories, unique angles, and are committed to amplifying perspectives from historically underrepresented voices. You're a team builder, who listens closely, works well with direct feedback, and has a track record of collaborating with other journalists. You may also participate in community engagement events and serve as a show host from time to time.
Sound like you? If so, we would love to meet you.
This position reports to the KGNU News Director and will work closely with the KGNU News Director, the KGNU Bilingual Reporter, and the KGNU Digital News Producer.
Responsibilities include but may not be limited to:
Job duty expectations:
- Monitor and cover local news and community events that unfold in the afternoons and evenings
- Write daily headlines copy
- Produce news feature stories, news spots, interviews and segments for local Morning News and Public Affairs programming block
- Format content for broadcast, web post and social media distribution.
- Post stories on KGNUs News website
- Attend weekly editorial meeting, develop and pitch story ideas
- Assist in production of weekday newscasts as needed
- Provide breaking and emergency news afternoon/evening coverage when needed.
- Provide occasional fill-in host duties for weekly news or public affairs programs.
- Assist in live hosting and panel moderation for occasional remote news or community engagement broadcasts.
- Participate in all KGNU fund drives and fundraising events as needed.
- Develop relationships with and maintain contact lists of community sources and subject matter experts.
- Provide production support and guidance to volunteer and intern news producers and interns
- Other duties may be assigned by the News Director and/or Station Manager
Fulfills administrative obligations related to assignments, including filing prompt and accurate program information/summaries, maintaining contact with and keeping the News Director informed about assignments, keeping appropriate files and submitting monthly reports.
- Performs quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
- Interacts professionally and with mutual respect towards other employees, volunteers and community members.
- Works effectively as a team player on all assignments.
- Works independently while communicating effectively with other team members and partner organizations.
- 2 years proven journalism experience creating and producing quality local news
- Experience writing news copy for Digital text/stories on short deadlines
- Proven proficiency in audio production (digital audio editing w/ Audition, Audacity)
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail
- Writing and editing skills (English)
- Creative thinking
- Proven ability to carry out multiple activities and responsibilities in one job
- Proven Project Management experience
- Experience using collaborative Gsuite (gdocs, sheets, drive, etc...), or office suites
Position will remain open until filled.
- Prior experience working in community or public radio
- Bilingual Spanish and English
- Demonstrated experience working with volunteers
- Proficiency with Photoshop
- Proficiency in publishing to WordPress, Facebook, Instagram, and similar online platforms
- Experience with Community-Centered, Solutions-Oriented, Engagement Journalism
Submit applications via email ONLY to email@example.com. Position will be open until filled.
PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE APPLYING:
Please submit a cover letter, current up to date rsum, three professional references, and links to four published examples of your work.
In your cover letter please explain how you are qualified for the position, why you are the best person to grow the KGNU News Department presence, the unique perspective that you will bring to your stories, the types of stories that most drive your curiosity and why. Cover Letters should be limited to 2 pages maximum.
Include 4 examples or links of your published news productions (please include 2 examples of written productions and 2 examples of audio productions).
Interested candidates should provide complete submissions by email ONLY to firstname.lastname@example.org and with subject line "KGNU Associate News Producer/Reporter Search".
No phone calls please.
Automatic confirmations will be sent to each individual who submits an application. ONLY APPLICANTS INVITED TO INTERVIEW FOR THE POSITION WILL BE CONTACTED BY EMAIL OR PHONE.
KGNU is committed to creating and supporting a culturally inclusive environment through diversity, equity and inclusivity. KGNU is committed to providing an Equal Employment Opportunity environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. We strongly encourage applications from people of all genders, Black, Indigenous and People of Color, and people with disabilities.
Created:06/25/21, Modified:07/18/21, expires:07/21/21, priority:2